It's me or It's I: Which is Correct?

It's me or It's I: Which is Correct? A Critical Analysis

If you're looking for an answer supported by evidence to the question, It's me or It's I: Which is Correct?, you're at the right place. This article answers the question whether It's me or It's I or both are grammatically correct.

The short answer to the question is that both the expressions, It's me and It's I are valid ways of self-introduction. 

However, you need to give this article a full reading to know why, how and when to use Its' me and It's I in different situations. 

Why Care About "It’s Me" and "It’s I"?

 It +verb +me or I is a very common grammar structure used by all learners of English: beginner, intermediate and advanced learners. 

There are countless daily used English sentences that are built using this very common grammar structure. 

Therefore, it becomes necessary for all to learn this grammar structure. You must go through the long answer to the question. 

Long Answer to It's me or It's I: Which is Correct? 

To understand the long answer, you need to revise four basic topics of English grammar. 

1. Subject pronoun

2. Object pronoun

3. Linking verb

4. Dummy subjects

1. Subject Pronouns

Subjects pronouns such as I, We, You, He, She, It are used as  the subjects/doers of the verbs used in sentences.

Examples: 

(a) He runs fast. 

(b) She is happy.

(c) It is nice.

2. Object Pronouns

Object pronouns like Me, Us, You, Him, Her, It, Them are used as the objects/recipients of the action performed by the subjects in a sentence.

Examples: 

(a) He told me about the story. 

(b) We informed them of the incident.

(c) Do it now.

3. Linking Verbs: 

Linking verbs like Is, Am, Are, Was, Were are verbs that connect the subject to its predicate which can be a noun or an adjective

Examples: 

(a) He is John 

(b) I am handsome.

(c) She was beautiful.

4. Dummy Subjects:

 Dummy subjects are used in sentences which don’t have subjects. Most common dummy subjects are It and There

Actually, there's a grammar rule that says that all English sentences which are not imperative sentences must have a subject in them. (English Grammar Today)

 Examples:

(a) It is 9 o'clock. 

(b) Once upon a time, there was a king. 

By now, the following points are clear to you that in “It’s me” and “It’s I”, 

1. It is a dummy or expletive subject. 

2. Is is a linking verb.

3. I and Me are the subject and object pronouns respectively.

Now the actual question is whether to use subject pronoun, I or object pronoun, me in It+ verb+ me or I. which is grammatically correct: subject pronoun or object?

“It’s I” Is Correct Grammatically.

It's I is grammatically correct. Use It's I in formal situations like business communication. 

Rule: When the verb, To be is used, it acts like an equal sign, and the object or thing used afterwards is something that renames the subject, and so subject pronoun is used. (Britannica)

“It’s Me” Is Not Correct Grammatically.

Rule: The object pronouns are used when there’s some action in the sentence. However, there's no action found in the expression, “It’s me”. So the absence of action in the expression, It’s me demands a subject pronoun. 

However “It’s me” is more natural and frequently used by the native speakers of English. Use It's me in informal situations like conversation with friends. 

Quick Answer to It's me or It's I: Which is Correct?

The quick answer to the question is that you’d be using the expression, “It’s me” in informal language like everyday conversations and casual speech.

However, it’s highly suggested that you use the expression, “It’s I” in formal language.

Evidence to It's me or It's I: Which is Correct?

There are many instances that support this answer provided in this article. Some are given below.

1. Judy Blume’s book, Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret 

 In this book, an 11-year-old girl speaks casually and uses the expression, It’s me, Margaret. So using It's me in casual speech is correct. 

2. Voltaire’s Candide

In this book, the princess of Palesetrina speaks formally to a soldier, and she uses the expression, “I am She”-a subject pronoun after the linking verb. 

FAQs- It's me or It's I: Which is Correct?

It's me meaning 

It's me is an informal way of introducing yourself in English. When responding to the question, Who's it at the door? by your friends for example, you'll say It's me, John

It is me correct grammar

In strict grammar, It is me is not correct. However, It is me is more natural and frequently used expression. Use this expression in informal situations.

How to say "it's me" in different ways

It's I, It is John and I'm John are different ways to say It's me when introducing yourself or responding. 

It's I meaning 

It's I is a formal way of introducing yourself or responding to the question, Who's it out there?

Is this is me grammatically correct?

No, It's no grammatically correct. However, because people commonly use this expression, you can use it informally. 

It's me or It's I quiz

It's me is more natural. Use it in informal language. It's I is grammatical. Use it in formal language.

It's me or It's I pronouns

In It's me, the pronoun me is an object pronoun, and in It's I, the pronoun I is a subject pronoun. Using It's me is natural, and using It's I is grammatical.

It's me or It's I examples

1. It's me, John.

2. It's me, Sofia. 

3. It's I, Jenny. 

4. It's I, Rocky.