Gerund and Infinitive In English




Definitions of Infinitives and Gerunds in English

1. An infinitive is the base form of verbs with or without the preposition, “To”. We use infinitives to express purpose. There are mainly two types of Infinitives. They are to-infinitives with the preposition, ‘to’ and bare infinitives without it. 


Examples:

(a) He came here to see his mother. (To see = To-infinitive for purpose)

(b) I can speak English, Hindi and Arabic. (Speak= Bare infinitive, not having ‘To’)


2. Gerund is the base form of verbs that's used with ‘ing’. The basic use of gerunds is to show cause or reason. Gerunds, verb+ing are used as nouns. 


Examples:

(a) He was punished for joining the class late.(Joining=gerund for cause or reason) 

(b) Swimming is the best exercise. (Swimming=gerund used as a noun)


List of Common Verbs Followed by Infinitives with Examples 

want to go

He needs to talk about it.

She decided to buy a car.

We planned to visit the Taj. 

They began to work

You should learn to speak English. 

He refused to carry the bags. 

She prefers to take coffee. 

They pretend to love each other. 

love to read novels.

She likes to eat bananas.

forgot to bring my notebook.

He asked me to go with him. 

beg to say.

He continued to tell the story.

I don't mean to say that. 

He failed to produce his documents. 

She managed to buy a new book.

He claimed to be the owner of the company.

Criminals deserve to go to jail. 

I will try to find it out.

He agreed to work with me.

Don't hesitate to contact us. 

He seemed to be worried.

She promised to marry him.


List of Common Verbs Followed by Gerunds

He finished writing the assignment. 

I feel like eating

Would you mind opening the door? 

He confessed stealing my watch.

missed attending today's class.

suggest going to the market now. 

He delayed giving his contact number. 

I will risk coming to meet you. 

He quit smoking

We're considering visiting Red Fort.

He practised speaking English.

We should avoid making silly mistakes.

He enjoyed playing with us. 

They postponed meeting us. 

She admitted telling a lie. 

I really appreciate teaching English. 

He denied giving his pen.

Our teachers resumed teaching

I can't resist sleeping right now.

resented being treated like a child.

recommend reading a grammar book daily.

We advise reading a newspaper.

They discussed writing an article about women empowerment.

Many fear speaking in public.

support running online classes. 

She discontinued working with us. 

My parents permitted going to the cinema.


Exercise 1 


Fill in the blanks with appropriate verbs.

1. He begs........(to say/saying)

2. She will forget........(to take it/ taking it) 

3. I refused......(going with him/to go with you) 

4. I've decided.........(to study/ studying) 

5. She failed........(producing her documents before the authority/to produce her documents) 

6. He doesn't mean.......(saying that/to say that) 

7. He deserves........(going to jail/to go to jail) 

8. He likes ........(eating ice-cream/to eat ice-cream) 

9. I managed.........( to purchase a new phone/ purchasing a new phone) 

10. He promised........(to go with me/going with me)


Answer keys:- 

1. To say 

2. To take it 

3. Refused to go with you

4. To study

5. To produce her documents before the authority

6. To say that

7. To go to jail

8. To eat ice-cream

9. To purchase a new phone

10. To go with me


Exercise 2


Fill in the blanks with appropriate verbs.

1. I advise........(to read one page everyday/ reading one page everyday) 

2. Many people fear........(speaking infront of public/to speak infront of public) 

3. He denied......(to go with me/going with me) 

4. She admitted...... (telling a lie/to tell a lie) 

5. You should avoid..........(to make silly mistakes/making silly mistakes) 

6. She enjoyed.........(to play with us/playing with us) 

7. He appreciates........(learning English/to learn English)

8. We suggest.......(to sleep well /sleeping well)

9. I finished........(writing the assignment/to write the assignment) 

10. Would you mind........? (to open the door/ opening the door)


Answer keys:- 

1. Reading one page everyday

2. Speaking infront of public

3. Going with me 

4. Telling a lie 

5. Making silly mistakes

6. Playing with us 

7. Learning English

8. Sleeping well 

9. Writing the assignment

10. Opening the door