First day at University In English


Lesson 6


Describing My First Day at University

My father earns very little, and there are 7 family members, so we live from hand to mouth. 

However, I managed to get my intermediate education from a nearby college. 

Having taken a decision to acquire higher education, I cleared the B.A. Hons entrance test of SMA University, got myself admitted, and finally reached the university. 

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the impressive look, the grand buildings, the soaring ceilings and minarets of the university. 

I took a round of the university and saw several groups of students at sixes and sevens talking to one another. While I was enjoying myself, a group of female students surrounded me, and one of them suddenly said to me, “I love you.”. 

The phrase “I love you.”, even though it holds no importance in the lives of university going students, was a very special one for a student like me. I replied, “I love you too.”. All of a sudden, they started laughing at me. 

While they were making fun of me, luckily, a professor named Zaid Khan happened to be passing from there. He forbade the students to waste their time, and ordered them to go to the classroom. 

We all went to the classroom. A professor came. We all stood up. He started teaching us History. He was at home in History. His knowledge of History seemed to be unlimited. 

Finally the lecture ended. The professor then ordered us to go home. We, all the students, left for home.


Words to Learn

1. To earn→ To make money

2. To acquire→ To get or obtain education

Synonym→ To obtain 

Antonym→ To lose 

3. Nearby→ Something that is near

Synonym→ Close

Antonym→ Distant 

4. To clear test→ To pass the test

Synonym→ To crack the test

Antonym→ To fail 

5. Impressive look→ Something beautiful to see 

Synonym→ Great 

Antonym→ Unimpressive 

6. Grand→ Something great 

Synonym→ Splendid 

Antonym→ Unimpressive 

7. Soaring ceilings and minarets→ The roofs and the towers of the university touching the sky  

8. To surround→ To be all round somebody or something

Synonym→ To encircle 

9. To forbid→ To not allow someone to do something

Synonym→ To prohibit 

Antonym→ To permit 

10. To leave for→ To go to 


Idioms and Phrases to Learn

1. To live from hand to mouth→ To make just enough money to lead a life 

2. To manage to get something→ To succeed in doing something difficult

3. To get oneself admitted→ To secure admission 

4. I couldn't believe my eyes→ I was surprised. 

5. At sixes and sevens→ To be scattered

6. It holds no importance→ It is not important.

7. To happen to be passing→ To pass by chance

8. To make fun of someone→ To joke about someone

9. To be at home in some subject→ To be expert in some subject


Exercise 1

Can you recall the synonyms of the following words? 

1. To acquire

2. To surround 

3. To forbid

4. To clear test 

5. Grand 


Answer keys:- 

1. To obtain

2. To encircle

3. To prohibit 

4. To pass test 

5. Splendid


Can you recall the antonyms of the following words? 

1. Impressive

2. To forbid

3. To clear test

4. Nearby

5. To acquire


Answer keys:- 

1. Unimpressive

2. To permit

3. To fail

4. Distant

5. To lose 


Exercise 2

Do you understand the following idioms and phrases? 

1. To live from hand to mouth

2. To be at sixes and sevens

3. To be at home in some subject


Answer key:- 

1. To make just enough money to lead a life

2. To be scattered 

3. To be expert in some subject