phrasal verbs in english
What Will You Learn in This Article? 

You're going to learn commonly used phrasal verbs in English and their meanings with examples in context.


Benefit of Reading our Articles on Phrasal Verbs in English


It's guaranteed that, after reading our articles on phrasal verbs attentively, you can clearly understand the phrasal verbs, memorize them and use them in appropriate situations.


An Effective Approach to Learning Phrasal Verbs in English

1. We will first introduce a sample of using phrasal verbs.

2. We will then train you to pronounce those verbs.

3. Next, we will provide their meanings.

4. Finally, we will provide several tests to check your understanding of phrasal verbs.


Sample

I usually wake up at 7 o'clock in the morning. Then, I wrap up my morning activities like making my bed, brushing my teeth, taking a shower, doing my hair and preparing my breakfast. 

And then, I put on school dress, tuck in breakfast and set off for school, college or university

After getting to school, I first carry out school prayer. Then, I arrive at the classroom before teachers come in. And then, I sit in on the class to listen to different lectures on different subjects given by different teachers till 2 o'clock. 

After that, I come back home, put away my school bag, change out of school uniform, freshen up, have lunch and take a nap for a while. 

After 4 o'clock, I go to the playground near my house and play cricket with my friends till the evening. After getting back home from the playground and refreshing myself, I move to my reading-room where I spend 2 hours reading books and doing my homework till I have dinner. Finally, I go to bed at 9 o'clock


Phrasal Verbs to Learn

1. To wake up → to rise from bed after sleeping 

2. To wrap up→ to finish some activity 

3. To put on → to wear clothes 

4. To tuck in → to eat heartily 

5. To set off for → to start going somewhere 

6. To get to → to arrive at or in some place 

7. To carry out→ to perform 

8. To come in→ to arrive at or in some place 

9. To sit in on→ to attend some lecture/class/ meeting 

10. To come back → to return from somewhere 

11. To put away→ to keep something in its proper place 

12. To change out of→ to remove a clothing 

13. To freshen up→ to refresh 

14. To get back → to return from some place 


Can you pronounce the phrasal verbs? 

1. Wake up→/weik ʌp/

2. Wrap up→/rap ʌp/

3. Put on →/pʊt ɒn/

4. Tuck in →/tʌk ɪn/

5. Set off for →/sɛt ɒf foɚ/

6. Get to → /ɡɛt tʊ/

7. Carry out→ /ˈkari aʊt/

8. Come in→/kʌm ɪn/

9. Sit in on →/sɪt ɪn ɒn/

10. Come back →/kʌm bæk/

11. Put away→/pʊt əˈweɪ/

12. Change out of→/ˈtʃeɪndʒ aʊt əv/

13. Freshen up→/ˈfrɛʃn ʌp/

14. Get back →/ɡɛt bæk/


Can you match the phrasal verbs with their meanings? 

a. To wake up → a. to finish some activity 

b. To wrap up→ b. to rise from bed after sleeping 

c. To put on → c. to start going somewhere 

d. To tuck in → d. to arrive at or in some place 

e. To set off for → e. to wear clothes  

f. To get to → f. to eat heartily 

g. To carry out→g. to keep something in its proper place 

h. To sit in on→ h. to refresh 

i. To put away→i.  to perform 

j. To change out of→ j. to  return from some place 

k. To freshen up→k. to attend some lecture/class/meeting

l. To get back → l. to remove a clothing


Answer keys: 

a.→b

b. →a

c. →e

d. →f

e. →c

f. →d

g. →i

h. →k

i. →g

j. →l

k. →h

l. →j


Can you use the appropriate phrasal verb in the following sentences? 

1. I usually.........at 7 o'clock in the morning. 

 2. After waking up in the morning, I...........my morning activities.

3. I..............my school dress. 

4. I..............my breakfast.

5. Then, I................for my school. 

6. After getting to school, I............. school prayer.

7. After reaching at the classroom, I...............to listen to lectures of my teachers.

8. After I'm done with my school hours, I................home,............ school bag,..................... school uniform and then .................. 


Answer keys: 

1. I usually wake up at 7 o'clock in the morning. 

 2. After waking up in the morning, I wrap up my morning activities.

3. I put on my school dress. 

4. I tuck in my breakfast.

5. Then, I set off for my school. 

6. After getting to school, I carry out school prayer.

7. After reaching at the classroom, I sit in on to listen to lectures of my teachers.

8. After I'm done with my school hours, I come back home, put away school bag, change out of school uniform and then freshen up.


Can you give the meanings of the following phrasal verbs in English? 

1. To wake up →............

2. To wrap up→............

3. To put on →.............

4. To tuck in →..............

5. To set off for →...........

6. To get to →...............

7. To carry out→...........

8. To come in→............. 

9. To sit in on→.............

10. To come back →............ 

11. To put away→............

12. To change out of→.........

13. To freshen up→.........

14. To get back → ..........


Answer keys: 

1. To rise from bed after sleeping 

2. To finish some activity 

3. To wear clothes 

4. To eat heartily 

5. To start going somewhere 

6. To arrive at or in some place 

7. To perform 

8. To arrive at or in some place 

9. To attend some lecture/class/ meeting 

10. To return from somewhere 

11. To keep something in its proper place 

12. To remove a clothing 

13. To refresh 

14. To return from some place