Wish Definition In English


Basic Grammar


What are Wish and Hypothetical Sentences in English? 

Wish-Clauses in English 

Wish-clauses are used to express one's wishes for future, present or past. Using such kind of clauses or sentences, we try to express that we're not happy with the current situation, and ultimately we want this current situation or condition to be different. 


Wishes for Future

To express our wishes for future, we use the verb, ‘Wish’ + a past modal form.  (Know more about Modal Verbs )

Examples:

(a) I am not satisfied with my current job, because it's not a well-paid one. I wish I could get a well-paid job. 

(b) I like digital watches very much . I wish my parents would buy me one. 

(c) I love to watch movies. I wish my parents would allow me to watch all day long. 

Note:- In place of “Wish”, we can use “If only” to express our wishes.


Wishes for Present

To express our wishes for present, we use the verb, ‘Wish’ + past indefinite or continuous tense. 

Examples:

(a)  I'm currently living in India. I wish I lived in the United States of America. 

(b) He is bored of being at home. He wishes he was travelling to visit some historical place. 

Note:- Both ‘was’ and ‘were’ can be used with singular subjects. The sentences, I/He/She was/were a king or queen are correct.


Wishes for Past 

To express our wishes for past, we use the verb, ‘Wish’ + past perfect tense 

Examples:

(a) I can't find a good job because of the poor marks I obtained. I wish I had worked hard when I went to university

(b) She wishes she had not broken up with her boyfriend when she was at school.


Hypothetical Sentences in English 

Hypothetical Sentences express imagination, not reality. To construct hypothetical sentences, we follow some certain rules. They are given as under: 

1. If something is likely to take place in present or future, we use present tense to build a hypothetical sentence

Examples:

We should stop providing our children with smart phones in case they access to something that's harmful for them.


2. If something is not likely to happen in the present or future, we use past tense to make hypothetical sentences.

Examples:

Imagine you missed out on the Important lessons . What would you do then in the examination? 


3. If something didn't take place in the past, we use past perfect tense to construct hypothetical sentences

Examples:

Suppose you hadn't got good marks in the examination because of your girlfriend. What would your parents have said?


Exercise 1 

Wish-Clauses 

Fill in the blanks. 

1. I wish I........ a king

Options: 1. had been 2. was 


2. She wishes she....... studied hard when she was at school. 

Options: 1. would have 2. had studied


3. The boys are making a great noise. He wishes they........stop it

Options: 1. Will  2. Would 


Answer keys:- 

1. Was 

2. Had studied

3. Would


Exercise 2 

Fill in the blanks

1. Stop walking incautiously on the road. Suppose you..... an accident. 

Options: 1. Had 2. Have 


2. Imagine you.......your class. What would happen then? 

Options: 1. missed 2. Had missed


3. Suppose you........ met an accident yesterday. 

Options: 1. have 2. had 


Answer keys:- 

1. Have 

2. Missed

3. Had met