Conditional Sentences in English



Conditional  Sentences in English

A conditional sentence is a type of sentence or statement that consists of an If-clause (If you learn English) and a main or result clause ( you can get a well-paid job.) 

Conditional sentences tell us that if this condition is true, then that result is true. 

Examples:

If you boil water, it boils. 

If you go to the market, I will go there also. 

If I lived in India, I would visit the Taj. 

If you had gone there, I would have gone there also.


Types of Conditionals 

A conditional sentence can tell us about real and unreal situations. Conditional sentences, on account of telling us about the real and unreal situations, can be divided into two kinds. They are 1. Real conditional sentences 2. Unreal conditional sentences.


1. Real Conditional Sentences

Real conditional sentences tell us about the situations that are real and true. 

Examples:

If I destroy my digital watch, my parents will not buy me a new one. 

If I'm late, my father scolds me.


2. Unreal Conditional Sentences

Unreal conditional sentences tell us about something that's not real. The situations that are imaginary are expressed by unreal conditional sentences. (Know more about sentences )

Examples:

If I had money, I would go to London. 

If you had won the lottery, you could have bought the car. 


Types of Conditional Sentences

There are mainly four types of conditional sentences in English. 

They are given as under: 


1. Zero Conditional

It tells us about something that's generally true. 

Structure→ If/When+ present simple+ present simple. 

Examples:

If I drink too much tea, I cannot sleep well at night. 

If you wake up early in the morning, you feel better. 

When you boil water, it boils. 


2. First Conditional Sentence 

It tells us about a future situation that's true. 

Structure→ If/When + present simple + future simple. 

Examples:

If it rains today, we will not go to the class. 

Call me when you are done with purchasing makeup products.


3. Second Conditional Sentence

It tells us about some present or future situation that's not true

Structure→ If/When+ past simple+ would+ main verb 1st. (Know more about verb) 

Examples:

If I won the lottery, I would go to London 

If I were you, I would not get worried. 

Note:- In conditional sentences, we can use the If he/she/it were/was construction. 


4. Third Conditional Sentence

It tells us about some unreal situation or thing that didn't happen in the past. 

Structure→ If+ past perfect + would have + main verb 3rd..

Examples:

If you had informed me of the digital watch you've purchased, I would have bought it. 

If the doctor had arrived few minutes ago, the patient wouldn't have died.

Note:- In conditional sentences, we can use ‘Had’ in place of ‘If’ in formal situations. 

 Examples:

Had you studied hard, you would have passed the test. 

Had I told you that, you would have known it. 


Exercise 1

Fill in the blanks 

1. If I go to the market, he......there also. ( go, /will go, went) 

2. If you boil water, it.......(will boil/boils/ boiled) 

3. If I had money, I...... to America. (Would go/will go/ go) 

4. If you had informed me, I........ missed the class. (Wouldn't have/ didn't have/) 

5. Call me when you.......free time. (Get/will get/got) 

6. If I......money, I......buy that car. (Had, would/had, will) 

7. If I were a king, I.......marry a queen. ( Would/will) 

8. If you tell him, he........ mention it to others. (Will/would) 

9. You wouldn't have missed the bus if you............(came/had come here few minutes before) 

10. You can learn English, if you........( will work hard/work hard) 


Answer keys:- 

1. Will go 

2. Boils 

3. Would go 

4. Wouldn't have

5. Get 

6. Had, would

7. Would

8. Will

9. Had come 

10. Work hard


Exercise 2

Can you mention which is real conditional or which unreal? 

1. If you boil water, it boils

2. If you had gone there, I would have gone there also. 

3. If you teach me English, I will learn it. 

4. If she were a good student, she would pass the exam with flying colours. 


Answer keys:- 

1. Real Conditional

2. Unreal Conditional

3. Real Conditional

4. Unreal Conditional


Exercise 3

Can you construct the conditional sentences using the following structures? 

1. If/when+sub+present simple+sub+present simple

2. If+sub+past perfect+sub+would have

3. If+sub+present simple+ sub+future simple


Answer keys:- 

1. If you stand in the rain, you get wet.

2. If you had stood in the rain, you would have got wet. 

3. If you study hard, you will pass the exam.